Monday, January 5, 2009

Why Weight Watchers?

Wow I can't believe the amazing response I have already had since starting this blog yesterday! 20 followers already.
*
I was asked yesterday why Weight Watchers? I will give you a basic rundown of why I love it and it works.
*
The biggest and best thing is that it is not a diet. If you want a cheeseburger you eat a cheeseburger, you just have to make sure to fit it into your daily points. (Points are based on weight.) Obviously you are going to get to eat a lot less cheeseburgers than if you were to eat vegetables instead. You will have to join (online or at a meeting) to figure out exactly how many points you need daily. They also have a huge database of foods to look up the points value on the website. Roughly 50 calories is a point, it goes up or down depending on fiber and fat content.
*
When I started I was shocked to see that I was daily eating at least double the calories that I needed. It is very hard at first but I found the best luck when I planned out EVERYTHING that would go into my mouth the night before. (Remember that everything has calories, everything even just bites of food.) It also helped if I had stuff already in serving size bags, if it wasn't purchased that way do it right when you get home from the store. If you go to the meetings you get a points slider, I would recommend taking this to the store with you so that you don't bring home the tempting foods that are high in points. My other salvation especially when I started and still today is frozen meals. Lean cuisine and smart ones both list the points values on the boxes. I try to get ones that are under 5 points so that I can have lots of low point snacks between. (Lean cuisine has the points listed on the side of the box not the front.)
*
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have on any of this!

6 comments:

  1. You have an amazing story! I can't wait to follow your blog(s). I came across you through a friend of a friend's blog! I also have an amazing success story with weight watchers. I started in May 2007 and it changed my life! I have lost over 40 pounds and I was very similar to you! I sweat by weight watchers but realize that it is just as difficult to maintain your weight as it is to lose it so I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should start eating the Lean Cuisines or frozen lunches more often. However, I worry about eating so much processed food. Did you encounter anything about that?

    Also, I may be presumptious here, but often when couples date/move in together/marry, they gain weight. Its ancedotal that women will start to eat portions as large as their partner's. The men usually can eat more because they're larger in size, but this is a downfall for so many women. Did you encounter this and how did you address it? I find it to be my biggest issue these days, toning down how much I eat and not eating the same thing as the hubby-to-be!

    Love your new blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great story! I started WW online a week ago and agree that if i plan things out it makes life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right!! Mapping everything out really does make a huge difference. I like to count out my snacks (animal cookies, goldfish crackers, carrots, etc.) and separate them into snack baggies and label them with points value. That helps me a lot! Have you tried the Progresso soups?? I love the ZERO point soups, they're really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome blog! I'm so excited about it. I have been doing weight watchers semi-seriously for a few months and have lost 18 pounds. Now, I'm ready to get really serious and lose the final 19 before the wedding that I want to lose. This will absolutely help with the motivation!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the blog! I've been doing WW off and on for almost 3 years now - but I fluctuate around the 20lbs lost stage...but have about 10 more to go. We're leaving for our honeymoon in 3 weeks - so I'll be following you closely to keep my motivation up!

    ReplyDelete