Saturday, January 10, 2009

How I stay on track and have a night out!

Tonight my husband and I have tickets to the Colorado Mammoth game (professional lacrosse). We are planning on making it a special evening since we will already be downtown and obviously that means dinner out. I have already decided not to simply give up for the day and not worry about what I am eating. Instead this is what I am doing.
*
Coffee 1pt
Special K 2 pts
V8 0 pts
We went and spent 30 minutes on the elliptical (don't forget to add resistance to up your heart rate and calories burned) and lifted upper body. I am working towards doing a full pull up someday so for now I was able to do 6 assisted ones with 120 lbs help. It may be a lot of help but you have to start somewhere. According to my heart rate monitor I burned 795 calories in the hour I was there. (Don't be fooled it is only this high because I work my butt off when I am there. Coasting on a machine will only burn minimal calories. I even smell like a guy by the time I am half way done, tmi I know but I work that hard.)
String cheese that is in my gym bag 1 pt
Scrambled eggs for lunch 4 pts
*
So I have had 8 points of my daily 20 but have added in 16 so I have 28 to play with at dinner. I may also bring a low point snack to eat on the way so I am never starving.
One of the biggest things that I will have to worry about is minding portions while I am out. We will most likely be going to the Old Spaghetti Factory and that means lots of pasta. I need to realize I have been eating smaller meals more often, resulting in a smaller stomach. I don't want to feel uncomfortably full all evening.
*
I wouldn't swap out your work out points everyday, just think of them as a job well done or for special occasions. When I think of them as extra things (on just an average day) I can eat I tend to go WAY overboard and eat all sort of bad food and wake up the next morning feeling guilty.

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I am very inspired by you.

    I can't at the moment afford the WW program, but I did some research and figured out my points/daily. I haven't been eating near them this week. However... I have been eating the SmartOnes from the store (from WW). I also have been doing WW snacks when I eat one at all.

    Anyways, this morning we took our daughter to the movies. I knew that popcorn and all that would be flying. So... I took a WW snack in my purse to the theater! When I was holding the popcorn for everyone to settle, I ate four little kernels and handed it over. I had a large Sprite, but didn't even drink 1/2 of it.

    I just wanted to let you know how much of an inspiration you are.


    Thank you for letting me comment (ramble) on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to lose 8 lbs, so I don't think I'll join WW, but I find your tips helpful. Is V8 considered a good drink? I saw it is 0 points, but I thought it is high in sodium? I'll be reading your blog daily for motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! Was it you that said every 50 calories burned is 1 point? Someone figured it out and can't remember what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I wanted to comment on the every 50 calories burned is 1 point...I spoke with my MIL (also a regional director for WW) and she said that to figure out how mnay points you earned back from working out is your weight * how many minute you worked out * .000807. So for example, you weigh 130 pounds, you ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes, the points burned would be 130*30*.000807 = 3.14 points. And she also said that there is a max. number of points you can earn back )I think it is up to 8??? I need to double check that). She said that this is the one area where her clients miscalculate. I was planning on asking my leader about it when I go for weigh in on Wednesday to see what she says about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. on the WW website it has different calculations for working out than the formula above...I run a 9 minute mile and I know I get more points for running a 9 minute mile than a 11 minute mile...i don't swap out my exercise points earned for food...is this bad? will I plateau

    ReplyDelete