Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My heart rate monitor

Wow, I am shocked by the amount of questions that I receive every time that I mention my heart rate monitor!
*
It has been one of my best purchases in my quest to get fit because it makes me work so much harder and tells me when I am coasting. I don't have a preference of one over another because I only have used the one.
The biggest thing that I was looking for though was one that kept a constant heart rate, not just one that I could use to check my heart rate. I have a strap that I attach around my chest below my sports bra so that I have a constant read going to the watch. I knew that I could hold the handles on the gym machines and get a read but that wasn't what I was looking for. They are a little pricey but I am SO glad that I splurged on mine. It is the Polar RS100 but I am not sure if I would have done more research if I would have gotten this one as it is designed for running. I later found out that they have ones geared more towards losing weight than mine was. I think that those ones are more pricey though. The polar site has a comparison questionnaire that may help you do more research.
I love polar though because it links to the machines at the gym so that I can just look at the machine screen rather than my watch to know where I am at.
*
The greatest thing about using one is that it is programed for your individual body.
I type in my resting heart rate, height and weight (just the first time). It gives me a much more accurate read on how many calories I have burned.
*
I like to keep track of my calories burn and think for every 50 calories I have burned a point! If you are trading out these points it isn't quite the same math though. The equation I have been told is
weight * how many minute you worked out * .000807
It may be less but really how many points do you need to swap anyway? I was also told that the max number is 4 per day.
*
Ladies I really hopes this helps answer any questions you have.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on the heart rate monitor. I also wanted to clarify the points earned back from workig out...the equation I gave you is for HIGH level working out (i.e. running, swimming)...the equation is different for medium activity (jogging, speed walking) and low activity (general walking, etc). Also, I asked my leader last week and for women who consue 18-23 points per day, the most you can earn back is 4. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love my heart rate monitor (it's strapless), and it has totally changed my workouts! Plus, it's nice to know exactly how many calories you're burning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am pretty sure the most you can earn, aka eat back, is 4!

    I am thinking of getting a monitor - but I am broke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have the polar F7 and love it! It is designed for fitness and crosstraining and comes in a pretty silver color! I have only had it about 2 weeks but another thing I love is that it can sinc to the computer to keep a training log

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering whether you had any input about doing the online WW. I have aout 10 lbs to go and I wonder whether in these tough$$ times, I should enroll for the 3mos deal they have now or just write out the stuff on a pad of my own. thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! We are glad you are loving your Polar

    Visit our forums @ www.polarusa.com and post your story! We love to hear em'!

    -Chris @ Polar USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the info. I mentioned to my husband that I want one of these and my b-day is coming up...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you posted this!! I've been wondering about how yours works and what it is, how much it costs, etc. I will definitely be investing in one of these bad boys in the near future. :) I LOVE your blog, thanks so much for all that you post!! Oh, and I made my own WW drawer in the fridge last night! It was so much fun...how silly am I to be giddy over this? :)

    ReplyDelete