Saturday, January 17, 2009

How to read nutrition labels

I was reminded yesterday by Amy at Chapters that not everyone knows how to read a nutrition label. This is obviously so important if you are going to be counting calories or points. Go check out her post even if you think you are doing it correctly.
Right now before you finish reading this.
*
Ok glad you are back! Do you always remember to check out how much a serving is and how many servings are in a package. Remember no matter how small a package is there isn't always one serving in it!
*
I also want to address being married or in a relationship and following your points. My husband also counts his calories but he does it for a totally different reason. He makes sure that he eats enough calories everyday to build muscle, more calories than he would need to lose or maintain weight. This is a picture of his lunch today...
A full plate and only a 5th of his calories.
He eats roughly 72 points a day if we were to put it into ww points.
No wonder we gain weight as soon as the wedding has passed.
I have found that I need to eat separate food than my husband. We still try to make sure to eat together though. I cook my meals and he cooks his. This may not work for you and your significant other but maybe you can cook a ww friendly meal for dinner and he could just have a bigger portion. Remember to measure everything out!
*
Have you noticed how much better you are feeling!
When I first started there we so many great changes, the list is long but here are a few highlights
I no longer needed a daily nap, I have so much more energy, I feel so much better about myself, I am so much less bloated and no longer always uncomfortable.
I may not be cooking for my husband all the time but at least I don't look like this anymore...
It is a terrible photo but a great reminder of how easily it can happen again. I was a J Crew 14 in this photo. This is a life change not just a temporary phase. I ask my husband which wife he would rather have, a skinny one or for me to cook for him. He jokes that he wants both but he really will admit that he like me now so much better.
We need to remember to take care of ourselves and not just everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. We still eat the same things, but Mr. Cup eats WAY more than I do! :) I realized when I started WW that I was eating everything he hate right after we got married. I really do feel better eating portions that are right for MY body!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog from a comment you left on my college roomies page! I love weight watchers, and I love all of your tips! I have 5 lbs. left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right- my husband and I would eat the exact same portion size for every meal together. No wonder I always left the table feeling bloated and uncomfortable! Now that I am actually paying attention to my food and what I am putting in my mouth I feel so much better! Portion control is still my weakness but going into week three of WW-- so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be so hard to make a nice meal to share with your husband, and cooking and being a good wife is something I value about myself. Luckily, my husband likes veggies and I just give him a bigger portion of whatever I'm making. The other night we had friends over and I cooked a lovely penne dish with cream and peppers--it's my favorite, but, I didn't want to use up all my points--so, I have a cup of penne with marinara sauce--yummy and I still got to enjoy cooking and eating with everyone else.

    ReplyDelete