Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why Weight Watchers works

Recently I saw a comment that someone left on another blog that made me think "Wow, whoever wrote that is very confused". It said something to the effect of "I know people who have lost weight on ww but I have a different views on food and weight loss. Also I am not sure if I would write about losing weight on my blog." I was really upset when I read this on my e-mail but I finally realized it was just a follow up comment on a post I had left a comment on.
*
I think the reason I got so upset was because WW is based on the only way to lose weight. It can even be broken down into a very simple math problem.
You have to burn more calories than you take in or you will gain weight.
That's it plain and simple. Don't make it any harder or more complicated than it really is. Its not about carbs or fat or any of the other things we have been taught to fear. That's what is wrong and so hard about following all of the fad diets that are popular these days. They have taken part of what is true and made it the focus of the entire diet. When we do this our body starts to crave these the things that are missing and we fail on our diet. Most of us have learned that it is better to not eat all carbs or thing full of fat. These foods are so high in points that we can't truly get full on them and stay with in our points. You may lose weight when you do these fad diets but how hard are they to stick to. When we fail we tend to gain more weight after as a result because even though we may have lost some water weight we still have been eating to many calories everyday. These will catch up with you someday.
*
I recently watched a friend sit at a holiday party and eat a large bag of assorted nut because she was on a diet that cut out all sugar, flour, carbs and alcohol. They are missing the basic math equation for this diet. Yes you may lose some weight but you will gain if you are not eating less calories than you burn. If I was to eat a cup of cashews I would have eaten 75% of my daily points. How easy is it to eat a cup of nuts.
*
As far as the not writing about weight lose on our blogs, why not? We write about our lives and what is going on. We love comments and feedback and to know that we are not alone. I would even encourage you to talk about it with your friends and family. When you have told them about it they will hopefully help encourage you and keep you on track. Let them know that meeting up for coffee works better for you now than meeting up for lunch. Also if you include it in all part of your life you are more likely to follow through with it. You don't have to tell everyone you encounter but don't be ashamed that you are taking charge of your health and your life. I have also found that most woman friends are also trying and failing at losing weight. Why not share this amazing thing that you have found! I do warn you though, as excited as they may seem at first most can't stick to it. Don't let this get you down. You will also encounter people who say some variation of "Oh I did that a few years ago. I lost 20 lbs but gained it all back again." Of course if you start eating more calories than you burn you will gain weight. You need to make a lifestyle change not just go back to what you were doing when you gained the weight.
*
The other thing that I love about WW is that you are forced to figure out what works for your life. If you are delivered food or told exactly what to eat how do you continue on your own? How will you make good decisions when you are at a party or out to eat. I also have heard that most of these are very expensive, upwards of $1,000 a month.
*
I hope this all makes sense and isn't to much information at once, let me know if you have questions.
Your great comments and questions are what keeps me writing!

14 comments:

  1. I agree. I have learned that the hard way. I used to think fad diets were SOO cool but now I know it's merely take in less than you burn off and you'll lose weight!

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about fad diets. I have a co-worker who lost 17 pounds in 6 days on a fad diet. The problem is that she will most likely gain it back fast when she stops dieting. Ans she usually only does it for 3 weeks and stops. I tried to tell her that it wasn't healthy and blah, blah but she is going to do what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! First I would like to say that I stumbled upon your other blog and enjoyed it so much I started reading this one but have never commented. Our journey's with weight are VERY similiar and although Although I did/am not doing weight watchers instead of points I count calories. I went to a nutritionist who put me on what I like to call a "plan" not a diet because I feel like a diet there is an end but there is not on my plan! Getting to my real point, I LOVE how you said you must brun more calories then you consume. It really is that simple. I journal everything that goes in my mouth and it I get near my limit before dinner... well that means I have to have salad or something else light. Congrats on your progress and sorry for such a long comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you! I never realized HOW much I was eating until I started counting my points...no wonder I was gaining weight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog!

    I'm a true WW convert. I've done other plans and been temporarily successful, but WW is the only program that truly addresses lifestyle change.

    The Mr and I have each lost over 60 lbs so far. (He's done losing and I have about 15 left) We tell people that we have changed our lifestyle and that we are not dieting. And that the "magic" is to eat fewer calories than you burn.

    Weight Watchers has definitely changed my life! And I'm glad you're blogging about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your post. I havnt started WW yet, but I put my old "usual" daily intake into a calorie counter and was AMAZED at how much I was actually taking in. It is all about calories in and calories out, and finding out WHY you are eating what you are eating and when you are eating it. I have had a lot of trouble overcoming emotional eating, and keeping track of something like calories or points has helped with that. Thanks for the motivation and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely 100% agree with your post!! Everyone should read this post if they are losing weight!! :) Great post girl!!
    And everyone should feel 100% free to post about losing weight. It's a big accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not agree more. I have tried the fad diets, and I love WW because it is a WAY OF LIFE! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, as always! Keep it up, this is a great support system, so don't worry about what that silly commenter had to say! Oh, and on the other diet spill...I could not agree more that this is the only healthy way and it's a lifestyle change not a diet. :) I know someone who got on NutriSystem several months before her wedding and lost about 40 pounds...but once she stopped ordering the food and started eating regular foods again...the weight started creeping back. I knew it would work for her short term..not long term.

    Keep on posting...I look forward to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. DITTO! It truly is as simple as burn more than you eat and make smart choices!! And I see nothing wrong with taking about weight, health, and exercise on our blogs...it's a part of our life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started out with WW about 6 years ago and eventually did end up leaving the program after a year and a half. And of course after leaving I gained all the weight back plus some. But to get to my point, because I went to WW and learned how to eat, how to exercise, and how to change poor habits, I have been able to lose weight on my own. I am not currently a WW member but I definitely support those who choose to work the program!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading your blog & it is helping me stay motivated to stick to Weight Watchers. We are doing good so far! Becky just ordered "Nutrisystem" & I really hope it works out well for her, but I just can't afford it. I think her body will go into a "No-Starbucks" shock, ha. Anyways, keep it up girl...I love reading what you write. I will try to keep my blog updated with how we're doing, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my weight just yet. Hopefully in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree. I just started back going to WW meetings again yesterday and I am so excited to be back on the WW train! Today was my first full day back and I still have points left and I'm full. What do you usually do in this situation? It's already 8:20 and I'll probably go to bed soon so I don't really feel like eating but I know that I need to feed my body. Help! :) Thank you so much for this blog, it has been so helpful and totally gave me the will power to start WW again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post. I follow WW because it works for me. Currently I have 10 lbs to lose. I also find it interesting when people try to discourage me from being on WW because to them I seem like a petite person. I am petite, that is why I shouldn't carry 10 extra lbs. Anyway, I love your blog for all the tips, encouragement, and perspective. KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete