Sunday, August 2, 2009

My climb

I did a full recap of my climb with tons of amazing photos on my other blog if you are interested.
I decided to wear my heart rate monitor for our hike just to see how many calories I could burn. Over 7 hours and a seriously strenuous hike I had burned 3,500 calories total. This is the equivalent of burning one pound. It is also my weekly goal of calories to burn from an entire weeks worth of workouts. Most of the time my heart rate was between 70 and 84% of my max. This is the range you want your workouts to be in.
*
Besides the amazing views and the feeling of accomplishment I have a new huge respect for food and why we need to eat. The food that I ate along my hike gave me fuel to keep on going. It wasn't the enemy or something to do because I was bored. I needed every single bit of food to transfer it to energy.
*
By the time I got home I was completely spent and needed to reload on carbs and take a much needed nap. I am pretty exhausted today still from working so hard.
Next big goal is my first race then another 14er!

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing! What heart rate monitor do you use?

    ReplyDelete